I made this macaroni and beef with cheese recipe, although I ended up altering it a bit. Mostly because first I was going to make another recipe and then realized I had to marinate it over night. It was already seven and I was just starting dinner so I figured everyone would starve by then. So I set about to make this recipe.
- Simple Macaroni and Beef with Cheese
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt to taste
- optional seasonings: black pepper, oregano, cumin, coriander, chopped garlic, hot smoked paprika, chilli powder—whatever you’re in the mood for (I just used black pepper, garlic and a tablespoon of fish sauce, which gives it depth)
- one 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, pureed in the can with a hand blender or in a blender blender
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 box macaroni
- 1 cup each grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses
So I'm bopping along, make it. First change, only used one pound of ground beef instead of two. Two pounds is A LOT of meat for a casserole. AND I only had one of course. Was too lazy to puree the tomatoes and I used diced tomatoes thinking they'd cook down fine.
So everything is cooking and it's getting kind of late and I get to this part:
then reduce the heat to low and cook for an hour.Umm yeah? Not going to happen. Since it's also supposed to go in the oven for like 45 minutes! So I simmered it a bit and then threw it all together and put it in the oven. After I put the cheese on I realized I wasn't supposed to do that until AFTER it was almost done cooking. Woops! So I just took the foil off when it was almost done and it turned out just fine. Just like home made hamburger helper.
Post a Comment